– "Barbie" film, directed by Greta Gerwig, achieves historic $155M domestic opening, typically reserved for male-driven superhero or major IP movies.
– The film surpassed expectations, fueling one of the biggest box office weekends ever.
– Overseas success with $182M from 70 markets, reaching a global total of $337M against a $145M budget.
– Record-breaking opening for Warner Bros. in major markets like Mexico, Brazil, and Australia.
– Strong showing in the UK, the biggest for the studio since the pandemic began.
– Barbie exceeded expectations in China, grossing $8.2M.
– The movie's success attributed to a female-driven storyline and the popularity of the iconic fashion doll.
– The weekend's box office results contributed to a booming summer box office performance.